Thursday 23 February 2012

Emily Bronte's Poems



I am aware i've neglected the blog in the last couple of weeks, sorry. My life was taken over by having to do some fund raising for another project - but don't worry, even though i feel like the life has been drained from my body, i managed to survive the ordeal with only minor brain ache and i'm slowly regaining the feeling in my limbs.

In the meantime i have still been trying to concentrate on all things Bronte and went to the Bronte Parsonage Museum last week to see if i could see some originals of Emily Bronte's poems. 
There's not many originals of Emily's writing to survive and what the Museum holds is on display. So I couldn't handle any of the works and the image isn't great (the work is behind glass in a dimly lit room). 

How fascinating her writing is with minuscule text, ink blots and doodles. It's the smudges and idle little sketches that seem to bring it to life - Emily Bronte made those marks. Having said that, with her writing being so small,  behind glass in low lighting and my rubbish eyesight i couldn't read a bloody thing.

1 comment:

  1. It was such a lovely discovery when I found a small volume of the sisters' poems several years ago. I had no idea they wrote poetry and was charmed to see how so many of their verses captured the mood of their location. How fortunate you are to be able to see the originals in person!

    ReplyDelete