Friday 17 May 2013

Wide Sargasso Sea


It was often raining when I woke during the night, a light capricious shower, dancing playful rain, or hushed, muted, growing louder, more persistent, more powerful, an inexorable sound. But always music, a music I had never heard before.

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

I've just returned from 3 weeks working in Romania on a residency - a wonderful and amazing place. And while there I read Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys - the story of the first Mrs Rochester in Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre.
I loved the book and had always wanted to read it during the weather project, but haven't had time until now. I bought my copy on the flea market in Preston.

1 comment:

  1. Did you enjoy the story, Rebecca? I loved the perspective it gave and immediately had to read Jane Eyre again... and did so with new eyes and more sympathy for his first wife. Apologies for being so absent from your site but I hope to catch up and read more over the next weeks and months.

    ReplyDelete